If you follow me on twitter, you know that I set out to tackle 10 miles on Saturday. It was a beautiful morning, albeit warm, with clouds and a slight breeze. When I drove to base to meet my friend Lindsay I was super hopeful that I would have a great run like last week.
We set out to do 10 … it didn’t happen. I accomplished 7 before throwing in the towel. I am a Type A person and really want to accomplish things I set out to do so this was disappointing. I realized some things I did wrong though so I can better prepare next week:
- Make sure my Garmin is charged. My Forerunner 305 died when we were literally 50ft into our run. I never realized how Garmin dependent I am for managing my pace. Apparently I think I am lightning and start WAY fast. Lindsay thought I was just feeling GREAT and didn’t say anything and just pushed herself. HAHA. We were easily running sub-9 minute miles which left me GASSED way early.
- Hydrate better. I didn’t properly hydrate on Friday. Granted, I wasn’t planning on doing my long run until Sunday but when we all decided we’d be going out Saturday Lindsay and I moved our run.
- Don’t lift weights the day before. Again, I didn’t think I was running until Sunday so I did my strength workout from Best Body Bootcamp on Friday and did a HIIT workout on the treadmill. #Fail
- Get used to running in the heat. Not quite sure how I will do this but the clouds went away and the sun came out and I got HOT.
At mile 5 my glutes were screaming … mile 6 my stomach was churning … and mile 7 I was DONE. I sent Lindsay ahead and walked back to the car to stretch and wait for her to finish.
Rather than continue to wallow in self-pity I wanted to focus on the good things from the run:
- I was able to run 7 miles. A lot of people can’t. My mom LOVED running and can no longer do it due to joint issues and injuries. I know she would give anything to have been able to do what I did.
- Even though I walked … a lot … we still averaged 10 minutes/mile. That is my goal pace for the half marathon so doing it on my WORST run so far laves me feeling confident.
- My Lululemon running skirt didn’t chafe. This is the skirt I want to wear on race-day so wearing it on a long run was imperative. Success!
I am still super proud that I got out and ran 7 miles. That is no small feat for this mama. My mom reminded me of that. I have put that run behind me, took a rest day Sunday, and I am ready to conquer my training schedule for this week 🙂
Quick Recap of Week 2 of Best Body Boot Camp
I got a little behind at the beginning of last week in the workouts due to my allergy testing. I caught up on all the cardio and even got the strength training in. However, I need to do a better job of spacing the strength training and my half marathon training runs. My legs were seriously shot on this run after doing one of the strength workouts the day before. I am still LOVING bootcamp and definitely encourage it for everyone if Tina does it again in the future 🙂
How do you get over a bad run?